ATC Elects New Board Members at January 2009 Meeting
Rosalie Pryor Escamilla (President), John Escamilla (VP), Vera Ferguson (Treasurer), Benita Asher (Secretary), Todd Sargent (Member at Large)
Other Attendees: Sue Davis (USTA), Lestor Herrera (USTA), Derek Madden, Michael Dunlop, Mike Daly, Jim DuCray, Christian DuCray
Click here for 2007 or 2006 board meeting minutes
- Introductions and Election of New Board for 2009
Officers for 2009: Rosalie Pryor Escamilla (President), John Escamilla (VP), Vera Ferguson (Treasurer), Benita Asher (Secretary)
Members at Large: Derek Madden, Jim DuCray, Christian DuCray
- Financial Summary
Treasurer Vera presented a financial summary and the group discussed some ways to continue to make Junior Team Tennis profitable. Also discussed collecting ATC dues.
- Junior Team Tennis
ATC has sponsored 4 seasons (2 Fall and 2 Spring). Spring seasons have higher turnout; it is easier to do the publicity since kids are already in school. The following details were decided for Spring 09 JTT Season:
- Match Dates: April 4 - May 16 (no match April 11) Saturday afternoons (time depends on # of enrollees & flights)
- Practices start week of March 23rd
- Registration opens ASAP and closes March 6
- Team Organization meeting to set up rosters March 10th 5:30 at City Hall (Mike Daly, Mike Dunlop, Rosalie & Derek...others welcome)
- Player evaluation day March 7 (for new players or those wanting to move up a flight)
- Plan to offer two on-site registration days at Play It Again Sports (date & details TBD) - Derek, Rosalie, Vera, Mike Daly and Mike Dunlop all willing to staff tables
- Early bird special - free youth racquet to first 20 NEW PLAYER registrations
- Rosalie & Benita will do "personal" equipment inventories, John E. will inventory the shed and we'll get the total inventory to Derek for planning purposes. USTA generously donated some materials & equipment for our season, so we may not need to buy anything.
- Benita will conduct a coaches training workshop March 14th 9-noon at Argonaut
- Benita will receive the mailed in registrations and give checks to Vera. She will work with USTA on the league software
- Brenda Bayer will handle USTA memberships
- Rosalie will handle purchasing t-shirts, award and any other equipment needed
- Mike Daly will work with USTA to have a JTT banner made and hung on Main Street in February
- Benita will work coordiante publicity with flyers, reg form, web site updates and newsletter
- Capital Improvement Projects
Todd Sargent has been researching options for resurfacing at Argonaut. One estimate has been received from Bruce Sheldon:
The group decided to get a feel from the ATC membership on which project to target, and build a fundraising plan around that. Meanwhile, we are going to try to organize a volunteer work day in spring to do some court repair & maintenance (Todd to get date from Dave Harris).
- $25,000 per court to resurface, fix net posts. Add $10K to re-level sloping corner on court 1
- $3500 per court to fill cracks and recolorize
- $50,000 per court to build new courts from scratch including fence
Other capital projects mentioned included bathrooms & water fountain, depending on finances.
- Events for 2009
The group brainstormed events for this year:
- Junior Team Tennis April 4-May 16
- Rapid Rally May 9
- Junior Tournament - non-sanctioned in early summer
- Tennis Block Party summer evening -- all welcome
- Columbus Day tournament (October) -- target is adults, but we may include our experienced "teen" players...TBD
We also want to do one more hard-copy newsletter but then switch to a more frequent email-only newsletter. Benita will begin working on the newsletter ASAP.
The board will strive to meet quarterly in 2009. Rosalie will suggest a next meeting date via email.